Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Stuck on CAS-ual Fridays

I'm back, and for a second week in a row, I'm participating in the CAS-ual Fridays challenge. This week's challenge (CFC17) is to use a sticker. Ages ago, I bought a sheet of Mrs. Grossman's stickers. I thought they were great, as they had all different styles of "Happy Birthday" sentiments. I just never remember to use them. So I broke them out for this card:


The flowers are coloured with a combination of Sharpies and Prismacolor pencils. This is something I will do again -- a quick all over-colour with a Sharpie, then highlight and shade with the pencils. The centres are black diamond Stickles. The top yellow flower is adhered directly to the background, the second is popped up, and then the orange flower is popped up on a double layer of dimensionals. The orange layer is embossed with the folder that comes with the Cuttlebug, which may be called Tiny Flowers. Or not. Both the orange and dark brown layers are -- wait for it -- paint chips! I love paint chips! But again, I rarely remember to use them. It worked out perfectly for this card, since I don't buy a lot of orange cardstock. The sentiment is on yellow vellum, sandwiched between an epoxy sticker (another gift from Angela!) and a glue dot for a little extra "lift". Much as I love summer, this card does seem to say autumn, doesn't it? :P 


Supplies: cream cardstock, orange & brown paint chips, yellow vellum, Stampin' Up Fifth Avenue Floral stamp, Versafine onyx black ink, clear embossing powder, Sharpies, Prismacolor pencils, Mrs. Grossman happy birthday sticker, epoxy sticker, dimensionals, Fiskars glue dot.  Pin It Now!

16 comments:

Jen W. said...

Love the paint chip idea - I've used them myself once or twice - handy and free! Your colouring is gorgeous and I am definitely going to try that layering technique with markers and pencils. :)

Anonymous said...

fabulous bold colors. LOVE it!

Laura Davis said...

Ooooohhh this is beautiful!!
Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
Laura

Virginia L. said...

Such an eye-catching card, Lindsey! The colors are gorgeous! I like how you used the stickers, too! I'm glad that you are able to play with this week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge!

Amber said...

Definitely eye catching...in the best way possible! Love the color combination and layout!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Oeh, this is pretty! Love the colors you used for this card and the flowers are gorgeous!! Very nice card, Lindsey!!
Hugs, Wendy

marilynprestonn said...

Looks gorgeous Lindsey. I have taking the note about the sharpies and prismacolor. What a looker! Beautifuly done. :)Peggy

Karin said...

I love the bright colors and the little banner for the sentiment! The coloring on the flowers looks fantastic!

Laurie said...

So bright and cheery! Those flowers are so fun! Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

Meg said...

Awesomely bright card, Linds! I love your clever use of paint chips! The sentiment sticker is totally fun paired with Ang's epoxy sticker, too!

Angela said...

Ooh, embossing a paint chip! What fun! I collected paint chips when I was a kid...it was my entertainment when I got dragged to the hardware store ;)

Gorgeous card overall too, of course -- love the colors and coloring. I'm glad you found such a perfect use for the epoxy thingie!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW! Sharpie markers??? LOVE!! And I LOOOOOOVE the yellow vellum paper! WHERE DID YOU GET IT??? Must have!!!!!!!!

Great card:) LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Donelda said...

this is awesome. The colors are so bright and vibrant! They may feel fallish but the brightness makes them still summery!! And paint chips ... awesome idea!!!

Anonymous said...

Your colours are bright and cheery and those flowers just pop off the card literally and figuratively.
Heather T.

Janna Werner said...

Hey Lindsey! Love this fun and colourful HB card! Brightens up everyones day! Janna

Emily Leiphart said...

Oh my gosh, Linds, I LOVE these colours and that is the most beautiful arrangement of flowers!