Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Glimpse into the Creative Process

1. Stare at the Paper Smooches current inspiration photo for a few days.


2. Stamp a whole school of fish from Birthday Buddies and colour using various shades from the inspiration picture. 
3. Wonder how to satisfy apparent current need for some shine, notice pins stuck in pincushions, and go, Aha! Use Versamarker to colour in party hats so they can be embossed in silver.
4. Note, briefly, that silver embossing powder is already starting to lose some of its shine, even though it's not that old. 
5. Cut out fish and play around with various layouts for a card.
6. Not be happy with any of the combinations. 
7. Look off to pile of various cardstock, papers, etc. and notice red mini card base left over from recent card-making.
8. Think, Hmmmmmm...
9. Pick one fish to pop onto card base, then stamp and emboss sentiment. 



10. Realize that card has moved a long way off from the original inspiration, but then decide to consider "inspiration" picture as just that... a starting point that can take one in many directions. 
11. Post to the Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge blog, and hope that better inspiration strikes before challenge deadline is reached.


Hope you have enjoyed this glimpse into the creative process.


Supplies: white & red cardstock, Paper Smooches Birthday Buddies stamps, Brilliance graphite black ink, clear & silver embossing powder, Sharpies, pop dot tape





Pin It Now!

10 comments:

Jen W. said...

That fish makes a fabulous star for a mini card!

And I love having a glimpse inside your brain! LOL! I too am often amazed at the difference between what starts out in my head ad what ends up on paper. Keeps it interesting I guess!

Karen B. said...

Awesome post, I love reading about people's creative process. And I think you have an awesome card too, caught my eye in the gallery!

Anonymous said...

Lol... I believe we think alike! Ha. LOVED reading your process Lindsey and seriously LOVE your card.

Meg said...

Haha, that is about the same process I go through while making a card, too! And yes, I can see a glimmer of the inspiration photo in the card. Love how happy and fishy he looks all embossed and shiny!

Emily Leiphart said...

Oohhh, your heat embossing always makes me happy! LOL I definitely see all the colours from the inspiration photo in your mini card. It's simply adorable!

Linda Beeson said...

This is adorable! LOVE all of the red and how simple your card is.

Marie said...

Wonderful card! Thanks for sharing your process to completion of the card as well, it was quite interesting and fun to read =) TFS!

Angela said...

Ah, the twisted crafty paths we walk -- I'm glad yours led to such a cute card! It's fishtastic!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Ha ha! I think your creative process is a lot like mine (except I might have an occasional tantrum after step 6--LOL!). I think it turned out fantastic and still reminds me of the inspiration pic. Love the embossing--I'm still dying to know your embossing secrets! ;)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHHHHH! I love this card! So clever to use red as your inspiration! LOVE your steps for this card! I love that I'm not the only one who thinks while crafting! Thanks so much for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge:)