Sunday, December 8, 2013

Simon Says... Make Your Own Background

This week, the challenge at Simon Says Stamp is to make your own background... and luckily, I quite like doing that for Christmas cards! So here is the first of what I hope will be a few for this challenge: 



I kind of threw everything at this background. I started by spritzing the watercolour paper with water then masking the lower portion -- which didn't totally work, but left a nice soft horizon that I kind of like anyway. Then I painted with Twinkling H2Os. Didn't really like the finished colour, so sponged some distress ink in from the edges till I did. I took some dilute Twinkling H2Os and flicked it onto the paper for a sparkly snowy look. Then it was just a matter of stamping Dasher, embossing in silver and matting onto the card base. I'm also linking this card up to CAS on Sunday's Christmas challenge. 
Since I'm still behind on festive card production, I hope I'll have more to show you soon! 

Supplies: white, navy & Recollections silver cardstock, Canson 140 lb watercolour paper, Stampin' Up Dasher stamp, Versamark & chipped sapphire distress inks, silver embossing powder, Twinkling H2Os

Pin It Now!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a gorgeous background Lindsey and I love the softness of the horizon and the blended blues.

Heather

Emily Leiphart said...

Wow, that is so gorgeous, Linds! It's like the Aurora Borealis. Love the combo of blues and silver!

Chris Dring said...

Whoa! Lindsey, this is stunning! Love the background you created, and what a brilliant idea to emboss Dasher in silver! Wow!

Michele said...

i think this is gorgeous! xo

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Lindsey, it's such a beautiful scene and lovely colours.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Mandy xx

Jessi Fogan said...

Emily's right - just like the Aurora borealis! LOVE how this turned out!! And even though the masking didn't quite work as you intended, it TOTALLY WORKS. Happy accident :)

anja curvers said...

Gorgeous card love that deer. Thanks for joining us over at CAS on sunday.