Sunday, February 1, 2015

Naughty or Nice Valentines!

Would you look at that, it's February!  Meaning that Valentine's Day will be here before you know it. Time in general goes completely wonky in February, I find -- it's the longest yet shortest month of the year. Of course I might enjoy it a little more if I happened to live on a tropical island. 
Enough of that, though... a new month brings a new Naughty or Nice challenge! 


That's right, we're looking for your love -- or ANTI-LOVE -- themed projects this month. Make them naughty or nice! I've gone nice with mine, mostly because the Valentines I need to make really should be... I hope I'll have time once the necessities are out of the way to make a more playful one! ;) 


I was fortunate enough to win some Unity goodies recently, so decided to use one of my brand new sets and play along with this month's colour challenge. This is the second of two attempts at the main panel; the first one I embossed in white, since that seems to be the default for a watercolour resist, but it just didn't have enough oomph against the background colours. The deep blue seemed to work much better. Once again I put my Twinkling H2Os into action for some watercolour shimmer. The popped-up heart is another Unity stamp (this one from a grab bag) -- it was the perfect size, but had the sentiment "handmade" across the front. A perfectly fine word, but just wasn't right for this particular use. Patterned paper strip to the rescue! It's stamped in a colour called "lilac posies" by the way -- purples seem to defeat my photography skills or lack of.  I also decided to be inspired by Jocelyn Olson, who is a genius at patterned-paper layering, among many other things. While I could not quite bring myself to hand-cut the papers the way she does, I did try to keep the layering whimsical. Each layer is adhered with just a few glue dots. I think I was also channeling Jocelyn when I splatted my card base with some Smooch spritz. For embellishments, I started with just the three tiny clear sequins, added the two blue sequins, then thought, wait, I have a bag of various heart die cuts! The result is either pleasingly random or an epic fail, I have yet to decide. I actually remembered to take some angled photos to show the dimension of the paper layering more clearly:




I'm also entering this card into this week's Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes and Shopping Our Stash Love Me Do challenges. 
My teammates have some great inspiration waiting for you on the Naughty or Nice page! You have until the 25th to come and join in on the fun. 




Supplies: Stampin' Up naturals white cardstock, Echo Park Head Over Heels & Basic Grey Plumeria patterned papers, Unity Layers of Life All for Love (December 2014) and ? stamps, Color It gilded silver blue, Memento lilac posies & Versamark inks, Zing clear embossing powder,  Mama Elephant confetti die, sea kiss Smooch Spritz, Simon Says Stamp & Darice sequins, pop-dot squares


Pin It Now!

17 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

What a gorgeous colour combo - great card! Jo x

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Fabulous card, love the layers and the water colour look.

Have a wonderful day!

Warm hugs
Maarit

Darnell said...

You sure did go nice, Jeanne! There is a lot of splattered and layered love on this cool Valentine! Well done!! Hugs, Darnell

Darnell said...

I hope you don't mind that I called you Jeanne, Lindsey! Today I've decided to give everyone names that start with the letter J. If I had waited two more days to visit, I would have been on the Ls and called you by your real name, but it didn't work out that way today. Sorry.

Did you buy that? No? Okay, then I'm an idiot. Yes, I can see by your shaking head that you are buying that one! You gotta love me!! Mwah! Darnell

Chris Dring said...

LMAO at Darnell's comments!!!

Oh, and your card is incredibly gorgeous! Love the water color! And I agree, the blue EP gives this so much more ooph!! Thanks for joining us this week at Shopping Our Stash!

Heather said...

Lindsey, Two WOWs today. Love how you "remade" the heart stamp; such a simple idea...but do I think of it? NO!! And I really like the multiple papers. What a great way to use up some extra pieces. And love, love, love the love, love, love (sorry, couldn't resist). Oh, that's 3, but who's counting?
Also like Darnell's 2nd comment. Sounds like something I'd do.

Inkyfingers said...

What a stylish design Lindsey. Love all the layers and the arty paintwork.
Hugs
Carol x

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done, Lindsey, I especially like all the blue.

Heather T

Jessi Fogan said...

Purple is just not a colour that plays well with cameras! I can never quite get it either. This is so fun and whimsical and NICE (I'm trying to rein in my snarky disappointment about that)

Alica said...

very nice!
Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

Hugs, Alica :)

Becca Cruger said...

Gorgeous! I bet this just shimmers all over the place in real life! Hues of blue and purple are my very fave!

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Lindsey! The colours are so pretty and it's such a wonderful design.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Mandy xx

Unknown said...

This is fabulous! I love the colors and all the texture! High 5 :)

Unknown said...

PS--The link that was used on the NON page to link visitors here isn't working. I wonder if part of it is missing....

Tracey McNeely said...

So fun Lindsey!

Lisa Arana said...

Well now, this card turned out beyond lovely!!! I love the layering of papers and how you made the heart stamp match the theme. Just love it to pieces!!!

Barb King said...

Love the watercolor look and all the layers! Twinks are the best.