Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Shortcut Guide to Paper-Piecing

Hello, Saturday and a new Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers challenge! 


The multi-talented Edna has chosen "Q is for Quilts" for our latest challenge. And by that, we mean paper-piecing of any type. As you'll see if you click over to the main blog, we are giving this one a wide range of possibilities! I went for straight-up paper-piecing, but a lot of it... 


Paper-piecing can add a fun look to an image, but all that careful cutting can be a lot of work. So here's my shortcut... use an image that has matching dies that cut RIGHT ON THE EDGE! The Bird Crazy dies do exactly that. They even have little dies that cut out the eyes, beak and wings! Now that being said, I did still have some fussy-cutting left to do. I decided I wanted the wings in a contrasting paper to the bird's body, but they didn't look right without matching his tail feathers and back. I also cut out the ribbon for the present. I patted some distress ink on an acrylic block, spritzed with water and smooshed it on the bottom of a watercolour cardstock panel so he'd have somewhere to stand. All the papers are from an incredibly old patterned paper pad. 
My friend Glenda is on the team at Seize the Birthday, and for some reason I've never played(!), so I'm going to add my bird to their Anything Goes birthday challenge, as well as the current Wednesday Anything Goes challenge at Simon Says Stamp
Not only do we have great inspiration over on the Snarky blog, but we are also introducing some guest designers joining us for the next few months! I hope you'll pop over and give them a warm and snarky welcome, then join us with your own *quilted* creation! 




Supplies: white cardstock, Fluid hot press watercolour paper, Basic Grey PB&J patterned papers, Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous stamps & dies, Paper Smooches Birthday Buddies stamps, Versafine onyx black ink, Wow clear & clear matte embossing powder, Paper Smooches word bubbles die, Glossy Accents, pop-dot tape

Pin It Now!

9 comments:

Barbara Godden said...

What a fabulous job on that bird, gotta have them, no maybe the cats. Oh well when I win the 649 lol. Love your card!!!

Lynne Mizera said...

ha!ha!ha! I am still giggling after reading your post! Grin Firstly... I LOVE what you did with that bird! You know I have the dies and I have been kind of afraid to use them! and the fact that YOU used them so you didn't have to fussy cut! Well, I am still giggling over that! AWSEOME CARD SISTAAAH!

Dotty Jo said...

Great card, love that little bird in his paper-pieced plumage! Jo x

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

So cool!

Heather said...

You can twist it anyway you want...paper piecing is still A LOT of work ;-) But you did a lovely job. And, I still love those bird stamps and die cuts. One of these days....

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

Crazy birds ae so fun! Even with the die cuts, you still have lots of work to do. Your card looks great!

Jodene said...

I love your fun card featuring the crazy birds stamps! Thanks for playing along with us at Seize The Birthday :)

Jane Willis said...

I've avoided buying any die-and-stamp sets because I reckon I'd find lining up the dies a lot more hassle than fussy cutting, but you've totally nailed it in this great card
Jane

Donna said...

You and your crazy birds!!
Awesome paper piecing sistah!